If you use a computer often enough, sooner or later you will probably spill something on it. Don’t cry over spilled milk (or other beverage), learn how to act now so you can attempt to save your computer in the future. When it happens you will be in a panic and if you take the wrong steps the chances of your computer being permanently damaged increase greatly.
The most damaging spills usually occur with laptop computers so that is what we will be focusing on in this article. If you happen to spill something into your desktop keyboard or worse yet onto your desktop tower the steps are generally the same.
1. Quickly turn off the computer by holding down the power button for a few seconds until you see the lights go out. Normally you always want to do a proper shutdown through Windows but this is one case where you need to ignore the rules and just shut it off. If you are fortunate enough to spill something on your computer while it is turned off, even better. Proceed to the next step.
2. Unplug the power cord, AC adapter or any other source of power from the system.
3. Remove the battery from the system.
4. Attempt to soak up any pools of liquid on the keyboard or exterior of the system.
5. Tip the system and attempt to drain any liquid from the inside that has not become trapped.
6. Take the system as soon as possible to a reputable computer repair company. It needs to be disassembled completely in order to clean it properly. The sooner this is done the better. If any liquid sits in the system very long it will start to corrode the electronic components.
7. DO NOT under any circumstances turn your computer on or connect it to any power source until it has been professionally cleaned and inspected. There is no guarantee that your system will work after being cleaned but if you turn it on with liquid still in the system, there is a very high probability that you will damage it permanently. Even if you think you have cleaned up the spill don’t take a chance.
If you need us to take a look at your system we are always happy to help. Please visit our website at http://computer-repair-now.com or call us at 630-444-7220